Africa's car-making industry has a lot of room to grow, especially when we look at where the car parts come from. From 2018 to 2020, only 4% of the parts used to make cars in Africa were actually from Africa. The rest, a whopping 96%, were from other parts of the world.
Another important part of making cars is non-specific components, like batteries and lamps. In Africa, only 11% of these components are made locally, while 89% are brought in from other places.
On a positive note, Africa is doing better when it comes to the raw materials needed for making cars. About 43% of these materials come from Africa, while 57% are still imported. This means that Africa has a good supply of the natural resources needed for car production.
To maximize it’s untapped potential, Africa could focus on producing not just car parts but also less complicated things like batteries and lamps that are a lot less technologically intensive.